Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Visit FAFSA on the web – Free Application for Student Aid.
FAFSA is required by many scholarship agencies. You can fill it out and submit it online.

Grants and Scholarships

Grants are usually based on financial need, while scholarships are based on academic merit and promise as well as financial need. These types of financial aid are not loans and do not need to be repaid.

Pell Grant

The federal Pell Grant is for undergraduates and is based on financial need. Every undergraduate should apply for it! Once you have applied, the federal processor will send you a Student Aid Report (SAR) indicating whether you qualify for the grant.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

This is a grant for exceptionally needy students. FSEOGs at Iḷisaġvik College could range from $100 to $500 for the 2014-2015 academic year. Federal Financial Aid is governed by US Federal Rules and Regulations, and is awarded only to those students who meet US Federal eligibility requirements. Call our Financial Aid office (907 852-1708) for more information.

The Bureau of Indian Education (BIE) Grants

The BIE offers federal grants to full-time undergraduate students. Students must be at least one-quarter
American Indian or Alaskan Native to apply. These grants are based on financial need, and supplement other financial aid. Additional information may be obtained from the BIA Regional Office, 1675 C Street, Anchorage, AK 99501-5198, or telephone (907) 271-4115.

Native Corporation Scholarships

Some regional and village corporations provide scholarships to shareholders. Students may contact their regional corporation for details on eligibility and application procedures.

Arctic Education Foundation

Arctic Education Foundation (AEF) offers scholarships to ASRC shareholders. Students may contact ASRC at 852-8633 for eligibility and application procedures.


Campus jobs are available for students enrolled in at least six credits and eligible for Federal Work Study (FWS). FWS is a federal program that provides jobs for students with financial need. To qualify for FWS, students must be eligible for federal financial aid. For more information about available grants and scholarships, students may contact their high school counselor or the College Financial Aid Officer, and complete a free scholarship search online at


Certificate Programs for Gainful Employment