Iḷisaġvik College 2014 Digital Photo Contest: Rules, Terms and Conditions
Iḷisaġvik College is excited to invite photographers (self-proclaimed or otherwise) to enter its 2014 Digital Photo Contest. You must read the following rules, terms and legal conditions before submitting any photos!
WHO MAY ENTER:
1. The Iḷisaġvik College 2014 Digital Photo Contest (the “Contest”) is open to ALL photographers at least 16 years of age.
WHAT TO ENTER:
As the Only Tribal College in Alaska, we are looking for striking digital images to celebrate Iñupiaq and Alaska Native Culture, students, education and the beautiful world around us.
Your images can be submitted under one of the following themes:
- Iñupiaq Values (click here)
- Student Life
- Nature/Wildcard (open category)
If you choose to include people in your submission, you are responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted, and must be able to provide copies of those releases to Iḷisaġvik College upon request.
Entrants must not submit images that contain inappropriate or offensive imagery (including, but not limited to: human nudity, the use of drugs/alcohol, violent/illegal/criminal behavior, etc.), nor shall the photographer put any individual in danger, or infringe on the rights of any other photographer or person.
All photographs should be original and not have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (removal of dust, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.) i.e. photos that have been manipulated to an extreme degree in Photoshop or other photo-manipulation software will be disqualified.
HOW TO ENTER:
- Entrants must follow at least one of the Iḷisaġvik College social media channels: Facebook , Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest
- Submit photo via social media channel of your choice with the title of your photograph and include following hashtag: #icphotocontest
- Submit a high-resolution version of the photo (300DPI and at least 7 inches wide) to email@example.com along with entrant’s full name, title of the photograph, and mailing address.*
ELIGIBILITY AND JUDGING:
Images will be judged on originality, composition, overall impact and artistic merit. The judges are a panel of Iḷisaġvik staff and students familiar with photography and responsible for selecting images for various Iḷisaġvik College printed and online marketing materials.
Online entries can be uploaded starting 12:01 am Alaska Time on Wednesday, November 5, 2014. Deadline for submitting entries is 11:59 a.m. Alaska Time on Friday, December 5, 2014.
Entrants may be asked to supplement their submission (such as a paragraph about their photo, the highest resolution version of their photo, or a watermark-free version of their photo) anytime on or after December 5, 2014.
One finalist from each of the 3 themes/categories will be selected and announced via Iḷisaġvik College Social Media channels in December 2014. Finalists will receive $50 in Iḷisaġvik bookstore credit, publicity on the Iḷisaġvik College website and social media channels, publication in the Arctic Sounder newspaper, and recommendation for publication in Aglaun, Iḷisaġvik’s literary journal. The Grand Prize Winner will be selected by the judging panel and will be awarded $100. The grand-prize winner’s image will be printed on the cover of the 2015-2016 Student Planner.
Your images will help to promote the mission of the College: to provide quality post-secondary academic, vocational, and technical education in a learning environment that perpetuates and strengthens Iñupiat culture, language, values and traditions. Thank you for helping to further our mission through your photography.
By entering your work into the Contest, you grant Iḷisaġvik College the right to utilize your photograph in future marketing materials if applicable.
If your photograph is formally honored by the competition as a finalist or grand prize winner, you grant Iḷisaġvik College a royalty-free, nonexclusive right, in perpetuity, to:
- Use the photograph on the Internet in support of our mission.
- Use the photograph in Iḷisaġvik College’s print or electronic marketing materials.
- Use the images in any and all media formats without consent from the photographer or models and without expectation of compensation and will not be held liable for any damages resulting from such use.
- Keep the files provided, and to archive the images on CD or in other electronic forms, so that your photos can be used to support our mission and be properly credited.
As conditions of this permission, Iḷisaġvik College shall credit all photographs with the caption “© Person’s Name” when the full name is available.
*Entrants who do not submit their hi-res photographs via email as required above and/or who do not submit their mailing addresses as required by December 15, 2014 forfeits his/her prize if announced as a finalist/grand prize winner.
Questions and inquiries about contest rules can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Iḷisaġvik College reserves the right to alter contest rules as necessary.