Adult Basic Education program creates high quality, open entry, open exit, convenient learning opportunities for adults in the North Slope.
We specialize in customized educational gateways to higher education, careers, and cultural preservation.
The term ABE student refers to both the adult students who are English language learners, sometimes referred to as English as a Second Language or ESL. The term also represents adult students who are studying to improve their reading, writing, and math skills in order to complete their secondary education, enter post-secondary education or gain adequate employment. ESL students are assessed with the BEST, Basic English Skills Test, and ABE students are assessed with TABE, Test of Adult Basic Education. All ABE students must complete the standardized ABE Intake Package and will be assessed with either the new TABE11/12 or BEST Plus and Best Literacy.
All persons receiving services from the Adult Education Program are required to complete for following:
- All students must be at least 16 years of age.
- Students under age 18 must have release forms signed by their parents or legal guardians.
- Certification of withdrawal from last school district attended.
- Completion of an official Intake form.
- Optional Information Survey.
- Academic Interest Form.
- Signed acknowledgment sheet stating he/she has read and understood the Student Conduct guidelines.
- Completion of publicity release statement (optional).
- Signed acknowledgment confirming he/she have been informed of their rights under FERPA.
After completing and signing the above documents, each student must complete a pre-test. GED and ABE students will be given a TABE 11/12 and ESL will be given the BEST test. All students must meet with the Program Administrator to establish goals and create an attendance schedule before proceeding into instruction.
- General Education Diploma (GED®)
- English as a Second Language