A career in saving the lives of your community!
Fire Science is a cooperative program between IỊisaġvik College and the North Slope Borough (NSB) Fire Department. The program prepares participants in Emergency Medical Services and Municipal Fire Control, and upon
Participants obtain classroom education, hands-on training and practical experience with the North Slope Borough Fire Department. The program is open to both paid and volunteer firepersons who are able to participate with the NSB Fire Department. Applicants must meet age, education and medical requirements of the NSB Fire Department. State Certifications in EMT II and Firefighter II are offered and apply to the Endorsement and Certificate Programs below.
Upon successful completion of the Emergency Services Programs program graduates will:
- Have the requisite knowledge for the EMT and FIRE certifications.
- Have the general knowledge and skills necessary to meet the requirements of the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) Standard 1001, Firefighter professional qualifications.
- Be able to write various reports as applicable and appropriate.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the mission, organization and operating procedures of a municipal fire department.
Admission Requirements & Prerequisites
Applicants who wish to apply for this program should first consult with the NSB Fire Department Captain of Operations, Taylor Elbert firstname.lastname@example.org, and then complete an application for admission to the program at IỊisaġvik College.
- Endorsement, Municipal Fire Control
- Certificate, Municipal Fire Control
- Certificate Emergency Medical Services
Just a few of the potential career paths: Entry Level Position Fire Fighter, Entry Level Position Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Emergency Services Technician (EMS) Ambulance Services or Paramedic Services and much MORE!